The foundation of road embankments on weak soils should result in the project and being included in a monitoring program. This occurs mainly in cases where the definition of the soil characteristics is not optimal, the design safety factors are low or when the consequences for the proper execution of the works are predictable.
Monitoring of embankments should examine the progress of consolidation, soil stability, changes in ground pore water pressure or groundwater level until a possible emergency situation is recognized and/or design and construction actions are taken.
Nevertheless, it is worth taking into account that the consolidation and deformation of the embankment and its foundations may have a significant impact on the assessment of the volume of soil involved in the execution of the works.
The values that need to be measured and analyzed are generally:
– Vertical displacements of embankments and/or foundations
– Groundwater level or pore pressure
– Horizontal displacement of the embankment
The devices recommended for recognizing the mentioned quantities are:
– Piezometers: open, closed, pore pressure
– Geodetic measurements: leveling of ground benchmarks, pit benchmarks, GNSS
– Hydraulic profilometers
– Inclinometers (vertical/horizontal)